Once again, we’re asking, Are you PREPARED?
With the cold weather upon us, we begin hearing news reports of people being affected by carbon monoxide. Firefighters and EMS personnel agree: as temperatures drop, carbon monoxide poisonings go up. Tragically, about 430 Americans die every year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

The National Center for Environmental Health’s Division of Environmental Hazards and Health Effects recommends that homeowners have their heating system, water heater and any other oil, gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. Fire officials urge homeowners and renters install at least one battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in their home. Batteries should be checked or replaced annually. New Year’s Day (for Arizonans) or Daylight Saving Time Eve (for everyone else) is a great time to do this.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: a dull throbbing headache, nausea or vomiting, chest pain, confusion, convulsions, dizziness, fainting, drowsiness, hyperactivity, impaired judgment, irritability, loss of consciousness, low blood pressure, muscle weakness and shortness of breath. Seek immediate medical attention if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, get everyone outside into the fresh air and away from any suspected source of carbon monoxide (i.e., a running vehicle).

If you haven’t had a chance to get your heating system serviced, why not make it a New Year’s resolution? Goettl’s wants you to be free of worry about your home or business, so you can spend many more New Years with family and friends.

Wishing the very best to each of you in 2019,

Adam & Ted Goettl
Owners, Goettl’s High Desert Mechanical

Leave a Reply

Facebook IconTwitter IconSee Our Reviews